The second line of that verse doesn't scan properly.
He scanned the horizon, looking for land.
The shipwrecked sailor scanned the horizon anxiously.
He scanned the newspaper while waiting for the train.
He read some chapters and scanned the rest of the book.
The other letter which I opened and scanned rapidly was from John.
1. I just had a quick scan through your book again.
2. He was rushed to hospital for a brain scan.
3. Their approach is to scan every checked-in bag with a bomb detector.
4. I had an ultrasound scan to see how the pregnancy was progressing.
5. A brain scan last Friday finally set his mind at rest.
6. Whirr, click, whirr, click — step by step the scan probed deeper.